Brexit changes in France from Jan 2021 – European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is to be renamed the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

For those in France whose health cover is supplied via the SI form when receiving the UK State pension, the new website for a replacement card is the following:

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the EU.

The UK has reached an agreement on healthcare when visiting the EU.

You can continue to use an EHIC or get a provisional replacement certificate (PRC) if you need treatment and do not have a card.

If you apply for a card now, you’ll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC.

You do not need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC. Your EHIC remains valid in the EU until it expires.

Beware of unofficial websites, which may charge if you apply through them. An EHIC or GHIC is free of charge.

From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland.

If you’re visiting those countries, make sure you have travel insurance with health cover and check the GOV.UK travel advice.

If you’re visiting Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland before 1 January 2021, your UK EHIC entitlements will continue until you leave that country.

The articles above are for information only and do not constitute financial advice.

Planning Your Finances Doesn't Need to be Stressful

Most expats want to know their financial future is secure. For the past 20 years we’ve been using our Expat Wealth Plan™ to make your money work for you, so you can enjoy your future whatever it holds.

Related Posts

Scroll to Top